Painful sexual intercourse a.k.a. dyspareunia, can be caused due to many things ranging from illness, infection, lack or personal hygiene to even psychological conditions. While many ignore the early signs of pain, many find it embarrassing to address the concern to their personal doctors. That being said, in case you experience pain during or after sex, feel free to self-diagnose yourself but also consult a doctor for a better diagnosis.
To help you further, here are some of the common reasons that could be triggering the pain during sex.
Causes of painful sex in women
Dyspareunia is a condition very prevalent in women. In women, the pain during or after sex can occur in the vagina and/or in the pelvis area. Here are some of the causes for the same.
– STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases), such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea or genital herpes, are some of the most common forms of infection that could cause painful intercourse.
– Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
– Endometriosis – It is a condition where tissues similar to the lining of the womb starts to grow in other places, such as the ovaries and fallopian tubes.
– Fibroids growing near your vagina or cervix
– Vaginismus – It is a condition where muscles in or around the vagina are inflexible, making sex painful or impossible.
– Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Causes of painful sex in men
When it comes to men, painful sex is highly possible. Although the possibilities are lower than in a woman, it can do huge damages if left unattended. Here are some causes for painful sex in men.
– STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases), such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea or genital herpes, can also be the reason for painful sex in men. Infections like thrush can cause itching and soreness, leading to pain.
– Inflammation of the prostate gland.
– Tight foreskin, which can make penetration impossible and painful at the same time.
– A tear in the foreskin.
Although, pain during or after sex is something that can be cured, but it important that you consult a doctor before adhering to any medical treatment.