NEW DELHI: Cities across the country grapples with migrants and passengers arriving on special trains started by Indian Railways earlier this week. Mumbai continued to remain the worst-affected city with over 15,000 cases, followed by Delhi with close to 8,000 cases.
Here is a look at the updates тАФ
- Telangana gives 150 doctors jobs to fight Covid-19, only three take up the offer.
- Several migrant workers who had received notification and travel pass with the date of journey and other details for travel to Bihar, Jharkhand, and Odisha have been left in a lurch as no Shramik Special trains have been operated from Telangana in the past four days.
- Health minister Eatala Rajender on Wednesday urged people not to come out in large numbers even as two persons died and 41 new Covid-19 cases were reported in Telangana.
- Small danger zones to be clubbed to reduce pressure on BMC staff, cops
- Only patients with symptoms, pregnant women and aged persons will now be tested for Covid-19, according to BMCтАЩs latest testing guidelines. Issued on Wednesday, the guidelines say high-risk asymptomatic contacts be tested once between the fifth and 14th days.
- Scooter, motorcycles and autorickshaws will not be allowed for movement of passengers arriving by train in the state, say new rules issued by the state government.
- The BMC has used corporate donations to increase the number of dialysis machines for Covid-positive patients in its hospitals.
- In a heartening feat, by Wednesday, civic-run Sion Hospital had delivered babies of over 100 Covid-positive women, a majority them from the cityтАЩs high-risk or containment areas.
- Liquor prices in the city will go up from May 16 after the UT excise and taxation department levies the cow cess. The UT is still to take a call on the imposition of Covid fee on booze.
- The Panjab University examination department reopened after 51 days with 33 per cent staff on Wednesday. The controller of the examination held a meeting with the staff of the examination and the secrecy branch.
- The UT administration has deployed 20 civil defence personnel in Covid-19 hotspot Bapu Dham Colony, Sector 26, to restrict the movement of the public in a bid to prevent the spread of the virus.
- A private laboratory approved by the ICMR has been permitted to collect samples for Covid-19 in the city and get them tested at Gurgaon, Haryana.
- CM Kejriwal had sought suggestions from the public, we got around 5 lakh suggestions. A policy is being formulated & you will get to know about it in 2-3 days, whatever opens will be opened keeping in mind social distancing: Delhi health minister Satyendar Jain on lockdown.
- Wholesale fruit & vegetable market in Gazipur has been closed for 2 days for sanitisation after secretary & deputy secretary of the market tested positive for Covid-19
- On Thursday, buses of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) will pick up migrant workers from different parts of Delhi and ferry them to New Delhi Railway Station. Recently, when some special flights arrived at Indira Gandhi International Airport from different countries, DTC buses were deployed to transport the stranded passengers to different parts of the city.
- Delhi University on Wednesday issued guidelines to its colleges and departments to conduct internal assessments for this semester. The teachers have been asked to email assignments and conduct internal assessments through IT tools in an open-book format. DU has also issued guidelines to conduct practicals and viva-voce through Skype.
- While Delhiites in many parts of the city are getting ready for more lockdown relaxations, a group of 12 residentsтАЩ welfare associations (RWAs) in Shalimar Bagh and local councillors have written to the chief minister urging him to declare the entire area a red zone.
- Tasmac proposes to restrict the sale of liquor to 70 persons per hour and 500 tokens per day to control the crowd outside stores and ensure social distancing.
- Tamil NaduтАЩs Covid-19 positive count rose to 9,227 on Wednesday with 509 fresh cases reported, 380 of them in Chennai.
- Tamil NaduтАЩs death toll reached 64 with three fatalities reported in Chennai.
- A crisis awaits Chennai as hundreds are expected to arrive in an AC special train from New Delhi at a time when the railway ministry and Tamil Nadu government are locked in a standoff over hosting the passengers till their post-arrival Covid-19 test results are out.
- Even as cases surge in Chennai, with more than 1,350 reported in the past three days alone, pushing more zones towards red, strict enforcement of containment norms has started to show results.
- Around 1,000 passengers reach Bengaluru from Delhi onboard first train to Karnataka since the resumption of limited rail services in the country, all of them to undergo 14-day quarantine, say officials to PTI
- The Karnataka government is planning to allow gyms, fitness centres and golf courses to reopen after May 17 when the third phase of the Covid-19 lockdown comes to an end.
- Notwithstanding the pandemic, there is a huge rush for inter-state passenger train services between Bengaluru and New Delhi.
- Over 130 residents from containment zone Hongasandra who have been quarantined at a hotel in Garvebhavipalya, protested on Wednesday, demanding that they are allowed to return home since they have completed their mandatory isolation period.
- The government, which has blocked 10,560 rooms in three categories of hotels тАФ five-star, three-star and budget hotels тАФ to quarantine those returning to Bengaluru from abroad and other states will see these people cough up Rs 30 crore in hotel bills, going by rates fixed by the government.
- Gujarat TradersтАЩ Federation (GTF) on Wednesday wrote to Gujarat CM, Vijay Rupani, seeking to ease curbs on trade from May 18.
- The sale of vegetables and groceries will resume from Friday in Ahmedabad. The sale will be allowed only between 8 am and 1 pm in the ten containment zones. In the other parts of the city, the sale will continue till 3 pm.
- Balloons fitted with cameras keep watch over red zones in Gujarat.
- The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) has assured private hospital owners that they will move a proposal to double the rates that they have offered.
- Out of the 982 samples tested yesterday for Covid-19, results of 28 are positive, says King George’s Medical University (KGMU), Lucknow.
- The wife of a photographer, who died on Mumbai-Basti Shramik Special train on Tuesday and later found to be infected with novel coronavirus, travelled for six hours with her husbandтАЩs body from Orai to Lucknow.
- In violation of restrictions imposed by the administration, many shops in various city markets are open with customers also defying social distancing norms.
- Railway Board office in Kolkata shut for two days for sanitisation.
- Most shops shut, no access to local markets, a catand-mouse game between cops and neighbourhood youths, streets and pavements barricaded only to be removed by locals in the morning тАФ Sukhendu Majhi of the Lal Maidan area in Belgachhia has seen it all in the past 50 odd days.
- Hospitals forced to shut down after patients and health workers contracted the novel coronavirus are set to resume services.
- The Central Industrial Security Force reported 37 fresh Covid-19 cases in Kolkata on Wednesday, all of which were recorded at its Kolkata-based GRSEL unit, a strategic warship building facility on the banks of the Hooghly.
- Three more cops have tested Covid-positive, taking the number of infected Kolkata Police personnel to 20. Howrah cops have, so far, reported 21such cases.
- A cluster of Park Street restaurants has returned to online food delivery platforms, several in central Kolkata, too, are gearing up for home delivery, which, they believe, is going to be a lifeline even after the lockdown is lifted and restaurants start functioning with curbs.
- With both Bijon Setu and Chetla RCC bridge to be shut for four days from Thursday morning as the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) undertakes structural load tests, the traffic police have kept a diversion plan ready for vehicles intending to take the two bridges this weekend.