It’s official now, Hyderabad Open BWF event cancelled | Badminton News

0
39


HYDERABAD: It’s official now, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) has cancelled the Hyderabad Open Super-100 tournament.
BWF planned to restart the season disrupted by the Covid-19 with the Hyderabad event from August 11. However, after the Badminton Association of India (BAI) informed the world federation that it would be difficult to get permission from the Indian government, BWF announced on Thursday, that the tournament has been cancelled.
It was reported in these columns on May 27 that Hyderabad Open would be cancelled.
BAI general secretary Ajay Singhania had said last week that the Hyderabad Open cannot be held as the union sports minister Kiren Rijiju made it clear that no international sporting event can be conducted in India in the near future.
In a release issued on Thursday, BWF said, “the fast-changing landscape of the Covid-19 situation has meant that BWF and its member association hosts have maintained frequent communication to determine the feasibility of staging each tournament on a case-by-case scenario, based on the latest information from local authorities.”
BWF secretary general Thomas Lund indicated that there may be further updates on the status of the tournaments.
“Circumstances have and will continue to change in certain countries and territories and therefore BWF may be required to make further updates to the status of tournaments as and when necessary. These changes announced today are necessary but do not directly impact the new BWF Tournament Calendar 2020, which was created to allow for changes as part of our framework for badminton’s potential return,” Lund said.
Meanwhile, the Australian Open, which has carried a suspended status until now has been cancelled.
The Korea Masters scheduled to be held between November 24 and 29 has also been cancelled.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Enable Google Transliteration.(To type in English, press Ctrl+g)